mercoledì 16 aprile 2008

Last games


I must start off by saying that this post is NOT an arraignment against American or Italian youngs: it's just a reflection on how politics is seen by them.


Last Wednesday, Serena and I skyped with Kelsey about elections in Italy and in the USA. For the scond time, after our talk with Leah, our nice interlocutor said that she knows quite anything about American politics and its election system. I don't know if their answers reflect the general situation in the USA, but the fact that only 54% of eligible voters really voted during the last four decades of presidential elections, makes me think. Why the first democratic country in the world reveals lack of public spirit? It seems to be a contradiction.


In Italy, things are a bit different, in my opinion: a lot of youngs, as in America, don't know very much about Italian politics, but our turnout is very high. This is another strange fact, isn't it?

Youngs' interest in the most important aspects of their own country seems to be discouraging, but I believe (and hope) that politics is going to become a more important part of their lives in their near future.


So, keep an eye on them, world, but don't worry: this is just a period, I think. They're (and what about me?) just playing their last games: all the toy trains and the dolls are going to end in a box in the storeroom soon and a new, more sinsible time is going to come...

Nessun commento: